Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Just for Today, June 4

Son, patience and humility in adversity are more pleasing to Me than much consolation and devotion in prosperity. Why art thou disturbed at a little thing said against thee? If it had been more, thou oughtest not to have been moved. But now let it pass; it is not the first nor anything new; nor the last if thou live long.

Thou art, valiant enough, so long as no adversity, or opposition comes in thy way. Thou canst also give good advice, and encourage others with thy words; but when any unexpected trouble comes to knock at thy door, then thy counsel and thy courage fail thee.

Consider the great frailty which thou hast often experienced in small difficulties: yet it is intended for thy good, as often as these or such-like things befall thee. Put it from thy heart the best thou canst: if it has touched thee, let it not cast thee down nor keep thee long entangled. At least bear it patiently, if thou canst not receive it with joy.

- Bk. III, ch. lvii.
__________________

One day when St Teresa had a high temperature, one of the Community came to ask her help in some artistic work which was far from easy. For one moment her expression betrayed the struggle in her soul, and Sœur Agnus de Jesus being present noticed it. That same evening St Teresa wrote her the following letter: "My beloved Mother, your child has just shed tears of repen­tance, or rather, of love and gratitude. Today I showed you my virtue, my treasures of patience! I who know so well how to preach to others! I am glad you have seen my imperfection. You did not scold me, although I deserved it; but as a matter of fact your gentleness had more effect upon me than sharp words would have had; to me you are the personification of divine Mercy.

"Well, my darling Mother, I can tell you that my imperfection gives me more pleasure than if, by the help of grace, I had been a model of patience. It is such a help to find. Jesus just as gentle and loving towards me. I feel overwhelmed with loving gratitUde."

-Letters.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: