Thursday, June 05, 2008

Meditation for June 6, The Gift of Understanding

What it understanding? A calm and clear comprehension of God's work in the world, which makes the soul docile to carry on this work, and powerful to accomplish it. Such is the under­standing which is the gift of the Holy Spirit - The shining of the Eternal Light (Wisdom vii, 26), the habit of looking on things as God sees them.

What must I do to possess this divine understanding?

I must exercise myself in the supernatural spirit, that is, I must endeavor always to see things from God's viewpoint.

And in order to arrive at this habitual spirit of faith, I must ask for this grace from the Spirit of Understanding, the Holy Spirit.

I have prayed, says the Book of Wisdom, and wisdom was given to me; I have invoked the Lord and the spirit of understanding came to me...and with it all good (Wisdom vii, 9-11).

God of the Fathers, Lord of mercy, who has made the universe by Your word, and who through Your guidance has established man to rule the world in holiness and justice, give me the gift of Understanding...and cast me not off from the number of Your children. Send me this gift from Your holy heavens that it may assist me in my labors, and that I may know what is pleasing to You.

Why should I not go more frequently to draw from the Book of Wisdom, the words of wisdom that God Himself inspired? Have I a sufficient contact with the Bible, with those portions of the Bible which can clarify my way? It would be a pity to have foun­tains...and what fountains!...and not to drink from them!
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: