Friday, July 18, 2008

Just for Today, July 19

Love is swift, sincere, pious, pleasant and delightful; strong, patient, faithful, prudent, long-suffering, cour­ageous, and never seeking itself: for where a man seeks himself, there he falls from love.

-Bk. III, ch. v.
______________

I had noticed that Mother Prioress seemed to take special pleasure in talking to one member of the Com­munity, and apparently liked and trusted her more than she did me. I told the Saint how this hurt me, expecting sympathy, but to my astonishment she said: "No doubt you think that you love our Mother very much?"

"Of course! Otherwise I should not mind if others were preferred to me."

"Very well; I will show you that you are making a mistake; you do not love her but yourself. When we really love someone, we rejoice at their happiness and would make any sacrifice to secure it. If you loved our Mother sincerely and unselfishly for her own sake, you would be glad if she found pleasure even at the expense of your own feelings. Therefore, if you see that she prefers talking to others rather than to you, do not be hurt by this apparent neglect."

-Conseils et Souvenirs.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: