Saturday, July 19, 2008

Meditation for July 20, Chaff and Wheat

An ancient proverb of Palestine divided the disciples of the Rabbi into four classes.

The sponges: the pupils who absorbed absolutely everything, non-essentials as well as essentials. ­

The funnels: the pupils for whom the instructions entered at one ear and left by the other.

The strainers: the pupils who let the wine run through keeping only the dregs, that is, those who retained only what was of sec­ondary importance.

The sifters: the pupils who kept everything important, passing over only what was negligible, the chaff.

Let me examine myself. In which class do I belong? Whether in regard to profane or sacred knowledge, is everything in its right place in my mind? Is it all clear; in its proper order of impor­tance; intelligently understood; intelligently ordered?

How often even among the pious, the order of values is troubled; they forget to put first things first, having, as they say, only the de­votions of a good man or good woman.

For a religious individual more than that is necessary.

Above all, if I am to form others, I must first acquire myself what I should impart. I must be rich in pure and nourishing wheat and cast aside only that which I will not need.

"O Jesus, You who were the most perfect Teacher, grant that I may be an attentive pupil, docile and intelligent according to Your Wisdom and Your law. Give me a clear and profound understanding of Your Gospel that all in my mind and in my actions may be in its right place and have that degree of value You have given it."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: