Monday, September 15, 2008

Just for Today, September 16

Help me, O Lord God, in my good resolution, and in Thy holy service, and give me grace now, this day, perfectly to begin, for what I hitherto have done is nothing.

According as our resolution is, will the progress of our advancement be: and he hath need of much diligence who would advance much. Let us endeavour what we can, we shall still be apt to fail in many things.
-Bk. I, ch. xix.

If a man does what lies in him, and is truly penitent, as often as he shall come to Me for pardon and grace, as I live, saith the Lord, I will no longer remember his sins, but all shall be forgiven him.
-Bk. IV, ch. vii.
_____________

I quite agree with you that the many imperfections of His friends wound the Sacred Heart of Jesus more deeply than do the grave faults of His enemies. But, my dear brother, it seems to me that it is only when these failings spring from habit, and are not regretted, that He can say: "What are these wounds in the midst of my hands?" With these was I wounded in the house of them that loved me (Zach. xiii, 6). But those who love Him, and who throw themselves into His arms after every fall ask­ing for pardon, only fill His Heart with a new joy.
-Letters.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: