Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Just for Today, September 18

Behold, the cross is all, and in dying to thyself all consists: and there is no other way to life and true internal peace, but the way of the holy cross and of daily mortification.
-Bk. II, ch. xii.
______________

She contrived to hide her mortification under a gracious manner, but I saw her sprinkling wormwood on an extra dish ordered for her by Mother Prioress on a fast-day, and which she found too agreeable to her taste.

Another time I saw her slowly sipping a particularly nasty medicine. "Drink it down quickly!" I urged. "Oh, no!" she replied, "I must take advantage of these little opportunities of mortifying myself, as greater penances are denied me."
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: