Thursday, September 18, 2008

Just for Today, September 19

Oh! how great thanks am I obliged to return to Thee, for having vouchsafed to show me and all the faithful a right and good way to an everlasting kingdom. For Thy life is our way: and by holy patience we walk on to Thee, who art our crown.

If Thou hadst not gone before and instructed us, who would have cared to have followed? Alas! how many would have stayed afar off, and a great way behind, if they had not before their eyes Thy excellent example!
-Bk. III, ch. xviii.
_______________

I must explain what the odour of Thy ointments means to me. As Our Lord has ascended into Heaven, I can only follow His footprints. How fragrant and full of light are the traces He has left on earth! I have only to open the Gospels and at once I find the most sweet odour of His life, and know whither to run: not to the first place, but to the last.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: