Friday, October 31, 2008

Bishop Robert Hermann: We live in hope!

We live in hope. This time immediately preceding a national election can be a time of turmoil, or it can also be a time of great transformation. If we live on the horizontal and cyclical plane only, we will find ourselves frustrated....

We live in hope. God could very well be saying to us today: "You shall not molest or destroy the child in the womb. Remember that when you were in the womb you were protected and given a chance to live!" We may say to ourselves: "I am against abortion, but I will still vote for a candidate who is pro-abortion, because I am voting for a better economy, and that will reduce abortions." If that is the case, then why were there not millions of abortions in the Great Depression of the 1930s? Instead, parents often had large families, because they lived in a faith society that supported life, and not death....

We live in hope....Yet we may say to ourselves: "I believe in God, and yet I will vote for a candidate who promotes abortion." How can we say that we believe in God but act as if God did not exist? Jesus told us: "Not everyone who says to me ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father." Again He tells us: "By their fruits you shall know them." If we promote abortion by our vote, we participate in society’s great lie.

We live in hope. How can I say that I believe in God and yet vote for candidates who promote the Freedom of Choice Act which would, in effect, nullify every limitation put on abortion during the past 30 years? How can I say I believe in God but vote for candidates who would support legislation that would permit the destruction of a child who survived a botched abortion? In other words, with my vote I can continue to drench this land with the blood of millions of our children, or with my vote I can take a stand to help end this senseless slaughter of the innocent children....

We live in hope. Finally, I encourage everyone, once again, to pray the Rosary daily for the sake of our country. Pray to Our Lady of Guadalupe....

We live in hope. Remember that eight years ago the outcome of the national election was not made known until Dec. 12, the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe! We live in hope!
An excellent article by Bishop Hermann!


No comments: