Saturday, October 18, 2008

Just for Today, October 19

Behold, all things are Thine which I have, and with which I serve Thee. Thou hast beyond all hope shown mercy to Thy servant; and beyond all my desert bestowed Thy grace and friendship on me. Unspeakable, indeed, is the sweetness of Thy contemplation, which Thou bestowest on those that love Thee.
-Bk. III, ch. x.
______________

Not for them only do I pray, but for them also who through their word shall believe in me. Rather, I will that where I am, they also whom thou hast given me may be with me...that the world may know that thou hast loved them, as thou hast also loved me (John xvii, 20, 23).

I wish to repeat these words after Thee before I die. It may be presumption, but Thou hast encouraged me to be daring. As the father of the prodigal said to his elder son: All I have is thine (Luke xv, 31), so Thy words belong to me, and I am free to use them to draw down blessings upon the souls that I call mine.

O my God, my one desire, the only glory I seek is to love Thee alone. Thy love went before me in childhood, it has grown with me, and now it is become so great that I cannot fathom its depths.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: