Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Just for Today, October 22

The sweetness of Thy words invites me, but the multitude of my offences weighs me down. Thou commandest me to approach to Thee with confidence; if I would have part with Thee; and to receive the food of immortality if I desire to obtain life and glory ever­lasting. Come, Thou sayest to me, all ye that labour and are burdened, and I will refresh you (Matt. xi, 28).

O sweet and amiable word in the ear of a sinner, that Thou, O Lord my God, shouldst invite the poor and needy to the communion of Thy most sacred Body! But who am I, O Lord, that I should presume to come to Thee? Behold, the heaven of heavens cannot contain Thee, and Thou sayest: Come ye all to Me!
-Bk. IV, ch. i.
________________

My way is not that of fear; I can always manage to be happy, and to profit by my misfortunes, and Our Lord encourages me to persevere in this spirit. I am never troubled by scruples before Holy Communion, but one morning I happened to feel some anxiety. For several days an insufficient number of hosts had been consecrated, and I had received only a fragment. On this particular morning I thought to myself, somewhat unreasonably: If I am given only half a host, I shall think that Our Lord finds no pleasure in coming to me.

What was my delight when the priest gave me two separate hosts! What a consoling answer to my fears!
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: