Sunday, November 09, 2008

Just for Today, November 10

A priest should be adorned with all virtues and give example of a good life to others. His conversation should not be with the vulgar and common ways of men, but with the angels in heaven, or with perfect men upon earth.
-Bk. IV, ch. v.
____________

Another experience (gained during the pilgrimage) was concerning priests. Up till then I could not under­stand the chief aim of the Carmelite Reform; the idea of praying for sinners delighted me, but to pray for priests, whose souls, I thought, must be pure as crystal, seemed to me surprising. It was in Italy that I understood my vocation, and it was worth while going so far to learn it.

During the space of a month I came across many holy priests, but although their sublime dignity raises them above the angels, they are nevertheless men with human weaknesses. If then the best of them, the salt of the earth as they are called in the Gospel, are in need of prayers, what of those who are lukewarm? Did not Our Lord say: If the salt lose its savor, wherewith shall it be salted? (Matt. v. 13).
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: