Thursday, January 28, 2010

Patience - January 28

Patience
Thoughts on the Patient Endurance of Sorrows and Sufferings

AN ACT OF CONFIDENCE IN GOD

by Father de la Colombiere, S.J.

[Continued from yesterday]

...I am assured, therefore, of my eternal happi­ness, for I firmly hope for it, and all my hope is in Thee. "In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped; let me never be confounded."

I know, alas! I know but too well that I am frail and changeable; I know the power of temp­tation against the strongest virtue. I have seen stars fall from heaven, and pillars of the firma­ment totter; but these things alarm me not. While I hope in Thee I am sheltered from all misfortune, and I am sure that my trust shall en­dure, for I rely upon Thee to sustain this unfail­ing hope.

Finally, I know that my confidence can not ex­ceed Thy bounty, and that I shall never receive less than I have hoped for from Thee. There­fore I hope that Thou wilt sustain me against my evil inclinations; that Thou wilt protect me against the most furious assaults of the evil one, and that Thou wilt cause my weakness to triumph over my most powerful enemies. I hope that Thou wilt never cease to love me, and that I shall love Thee unceasingly. "In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped; let me never be confounded."

"The eyes of the Lord behold all the earth and give strength to those who with a perfect heart trust in Him." Have mercy on me, O Lord; for my soul trusteth in Thee.
-2 Paral. xvi, 9.
____________________
Compiled and Edited by Rev. F. X. Lasance
Author of "My Prayerbook," etc.
1937, Benziger Brothers
Printers to the Holy Apostolic See

No comments: