Saturday, January 30, 2010

Principles and Practices - January 31

A Prayer

Lord, who art merciful as well as just,
Incline Thine ear to me, a child of dust:
Not what I would, O Lord! I offer Thee,
Alas! but what I can.
Father Almighty, who hadst made me man,
And bade me look to heaven, for Thou art there,
Accept my sacrifice and humble prayer,
Four things which are not in Thy Treasury
I lay before Thee, Lord, with this petition;
My nothingness, my wants,
My sins, and my contrition.

-Southey.
_________________
From Principles and Practices
Compiled by Rev. J. Hogan of The Catholic Missionary Society
Published by Burns Oates & Washbourne Ltd., Publishers To The Holy See
Nihil Obstat; Eduardus J. Mahoney, S.T.D. Censor deputatus.
Imprimatur; Edm. Can. Surmont, Vicarius generalis.
First printed in 1930

No comments: