Friday, July 11, 2008

From Archbishop Burke: Thank you and farewell

Some excerpts from the "Farewell" of one of the most faithful shepherds of the St Louis Archbishops:
....Since I have regularly written a column for you in our archdiocesan newspaper when I was your archbishop, I wanted to write to you one last time now no longer as your archbishop but as your former archbishop who continues to love you very much. I write simply to say "thank you" and "farewell".....

I have encountered in St. Louis a remarkable depth of Catholic faith, strongly connected with the apostolic tradition and lived practically in the homes of the faithful....

As archbishop, building upon the strength of Catholic life in the archdiocese, I tried to lead you in the new evangelization, which is so needed in the totally secularized society in which we live. Your response has been dedicated and generous....

During my service in the archdiocese and as I am now leaving you, the secular media have focused very much on the controversies that have marked my years in the Archdiocese of St. Louis. While the controversies have been difficult for us all, I did not shrink from them when I knew the integrity of our Catholic faith, worship and practice was at stake....

Thank you for holding fast to the truth of our Catholic faith, for praying and worshiping with great devotion and fervor and for witnessing to the truth of the faith in your attitudes, words and actions....

Archbishop Burke extends his gratitude to all those who so faithfully assisted him during his short time in St Louis, particularly, the priests of the archdiocese, permanent deacons, Bishop Hermann and Msgr. Vernon Gardin, whole staff of the Archdiocesan Curia, Msgr. Henry Breier, his secretaries; Sister M. Regina van den Berg, FSGM, and Rosalie Manz, and a special thanks to the Franciscan Sisters of the Martyr St. George, and all of the consecrated religious — priests, monks, nuns, brothers and sisters.

The media and several individuals have asked me to comment on what most stands out for me among the various aspects and events of my service as Archbishop of St. Louis.

Because of the richness of Church life, it is difficult to answer the question simply and easily. With humble recognition of the many blessings which God has showered upon the archdiocese during my years, I offer two observations.

He comments on priestly vocations and Kenrick-Glennon Seminary as well as the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

...God is blessing the Archdiocese of St. Louis with many and holy priestly vocations....
God generously blessed St Louis with a faithful shepherd who helped to foster fidelity and virtue which resulted in an increase in priestly vocations.

...one of the happiest days of my service in the Archdiocese of St. Louis was June 17, 2007, when I dedicated the Shrine to the Sacred Heart of Jesus at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis ...

And what a blessing this is for the faithful of St Louis!

Farewell

I am deeply honored and humbled by the trust which Pope Benedict XVI has placed in my by naming prefect of the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura. We are blessed, in our time, with a remarkably holy Successor to St. Peter....

It has been my experience that, whenever greater responsibility is given to someone in the Church, Satan works all the more cleverly and furiously to discourage and confuse....Please keep placing me in the Sacred Heart of Jesus, through your prayers, so that I will have the courage and wisdom to do faithfully and generously all that I am asked....

To almighty God, I express my deepest gratitude for the time of my service as shepherd of His flock in the Archdiocese of St. Louis, asking His pardon for my failures and praising Him for what He has accomplished among us from Jan. 26, 2004, until June 27, 2008....
No doubt, he will be missed by the faithful of St Louis as well as by faithful Catholics throughout the US who admired his courage, his humility, and his Apostolic leadership in the face of strident opposition to the Church.

I feel for the faithful of St Louis and fervently pray that a worthy successor will be appointed. My God continue to bless Archbishop Burke as he continues to serve Christ and His Church.

No comments: