Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Just for Today, July 9

Ah! Lord God, when shall I be wholly united to, and absorbed in Thee, and altogether forgetful of my­self? Thou in me, and I in Thee; and so grant us both to continue in one. Verily, Thou art my Beloved, the choicest amongst thousands, in whom my soul is well pleased to dwell all the days of her life. O infinite love, singularly bestowed upon man!

-Bk. IV, ch. xiii.
____________________

Love attracts love, and mine longs to fill the depths which draw it, but alas, it is like a dew-drop lost in the ocean! To love Thee in return as I ought, I must have recourse to Thine own love, and only then can I rest. O Jesus! surely it is impossible for any soul to be loved more than mine has been! This gives me confidence to ask that Thou mayest love those Thou hast given me, even as Thou hast loved me. If in Heaven I discover that Thou hast loved them more, I shall rejoice, for even on earth I realized that they deserved more. Never­theless, I cannot now conceive of anything greater than the boundless love Thou hast poured out upon me, without my having in any way deserved it.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: