Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Just for Today, July 10

They indeed advance most of all others in virtue who strive manfully to overcome those things which they find more troublesome or contrary to them. For there a man makes greater progress and merits greater grace, where he overcomes himself more, and mortifies him­self in spirit.
-Bk. I, ch. xxv.
_____________

How I would have loved the office of infirmarian! I know it requires great self-denial, but the thought of Our Lord's words: I was sick and you visited me (Matt. XXV, 36), would have inspired me to do the work with love.

"Now you have to carry round little cups," she said to a novice to encourage her, "but soon it will be Our Lord's turn, for He says that passing he will minister unto them" (Luke xii, 36).
-Esprit de Sainte Therese.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: