Thursday, May 06, 2004

NJ Governor will not receive Holy Communion in public

Gov. James E. McGreevey, continuing to clash with Roman Catholic Church leaders over his support for abortion rights, said yesterday he would comply with the wishes of Newark Archbishop John J. Myers and not seek Communion at public Masses.
...
McGreevey criticized the Newark archbishop's statement as the latest example of a Roman Catholic leader trying to force Catholic politicians to choose between their faith and the separation of church and state. He was unapologetic in his support for abortion rights.

"I will continue to go to Mass with my family. I will continue to practice my faith. It's a faith that I love. And I believe this is a false choice in America between one's faith and one's constitutional obligations," he said.

He added that, "A woman Sunday in church said, 'Well, ultimately, the faithful will save the church from the bishops.'"

Link to the story is here. The Archbishop's pastoral letter is here.

No comments: