Monday, July 03, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 4 - St. John the Baptist

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Courage to speak out for God's values.

Mental Picture: I am standing on a little slope before the Jordan River. Below on the bank thousands of people jam to hear a lean man speak. He wears a rough camel hair garment... he has fire in his eyes... his powerful voice rings out, "I baptize you with water, but one mightier than I is coming..." John the Baptist is afraid of no one. He blasts the influential Pharisees: "You breed of snakes. What makes you think you don't need penance?" But he's gentle with many good people who ask, "What shall we do?" "Those of you who have, share with those who have not." To the tax collectors he gives warning: "Don't collect above the appointed rate." To the soldiers : "Don't treat men too roughly." To everyone: "Prepare the way of the Lord."

My Personal Application: John the Baptist is a pattern for the sincere Christian. God picked John. John gave himself completely to the job of preparing the way for Christ. Do I want to bring Christ to others? Then I must be an example in my life of unselfishness, courage, and penance as John was. I must be ready to speak out against values opposed to Christ; I must be ready to speak for God's values when people want to know about Catholics or about Christ.

I Speak to God: O Lord God, help me direct others along your paths as John did. Give me his courage, his willingness to bear laughter from people who don't understand, his faithfulness to you, always.

Thought for Today: "Prepare the way of the Lord."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: