Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 6 - Christ Tempted by the Devil

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: To know the devil's traps.

Mental Picture (d. Matt. 4:1-2): See Christ walking the barren, wind-blown desert, alone. He has just fasted 40 days and 40 nights. He's thin as a war prisoner. Someone who witnessed His baptism approaches and says, "If you are the Son of God, why not change these stones into bread?" Christ could do that easier than you could pick a hamburger off a counter, but it would be an abuse of God's power. He blocks Satan, saying, "God's will is more important than food." Christ allows Satan to take Him to the temple pinnacle. People throng far below. Christ refuses the sensational leap, saying it would tempt God. As a last attempt, Satan on a mountain top shows Him all the kingdoms of the world and fills His imagination with the money and the power and the glory of them. "All these will I give thee, if falling down you will adore me." And Jesus says, "Begone, Satan. Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and serve Him alone."

My Personal Application: Notice that temptation is not wrong, even when it fills our imagination with pictures as it did Christ's. It's wrong only when I want it. Notice how Christ handles temptation: first He had prepared by prayer and penance, and secondly He doesn't believe Satan's line.

I Speak to God: God, the devil is smarter than I am. You always know that, but I forget. Give me quickness to see him; give me loyalty to you to refuse him. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Thought for Today: "... and serve Him alone."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: