Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Mental Prayer for July 5 - Baptism of Christ Presence of God.

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: To know Christ!

Mental Picture (cf.Markx : I-II) : On the bank of the Jordan River, a crowd thrills to the strong fiery words of John the Baptist... "One is to come after me who is mightier than I, the straps of whose shoes I am not worthy to loose. I have baptized you with water; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." A stranger steps from the crowd and stands before John... John looks and knows... the two wade into the water, and John baptizes him. The heavens seem to open... a dove descends over the stranger... a voice rings out from on high... "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." Then silence... puzzlement... the stranger disappears. Who is this man?

My Personal Application: Who is this man? What does he mean to me? The dove and the voice? Was this man a silent historical figure to be lightly forgotten? Or someone so great, so personal to me, that he must forever influence my whole life?

I Speak to Christ: May you be no stranger in my life! May I understand what only puzzled most Jews: your identity and your mission! Help me to come so to know and imitate you, that I may one day hear the Father say of me, "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased." Indeed, only if I am like you will the Father be pleased with me.

Thought for Today: "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: