Friday, August 11, 2006

Mental Prayer for August 12-Christ Comes to Me Too in Holy Communion

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: Jesus, help me to realize that you will come to me in Holy Communion any morning I wish.

Mental Picture (cf. Luke 19:1-10): Zaccheus, a sinner, up in a tree. Jesus, looking up, says, "Come down. This day I'll stay in your house." Joy of Zaccheus... his great privilege... his haste in getting his house ready for Jesus... Jesus brings him joy, help, courage. When Jesus leaves his house, Zaccheus is a changed man.

My Personal Application: Like Zaccheus, do I need God's help? Will Jeus give it to me? Where? When? If the President of the U. S. A. told me that he would come to my house today, what would I do? Would I put myself out to have him come? Would I be happy? Proud? Will Jesus come just to my house, or will He come inside me? Will He bring me joy, help, courage too? Can Jesus make me into a better person if I let Him? Would I walk as far as my parish church to see the President? Can I find one good reason why I can't go to Holy Communion every morn­ing? Do I want to? Do I need to? Is it worth the sacrifice it would involve?

I Speak to Christ: Lord, I need you just as Zaccheus did. I have my problems, my tempta­tions, my troubles too. Help me realize that you are ready to aid me if I just invite you inside my soul in Holy Communion. I promise to go to Communion as often as I can, even daily for I need you. I love you.

Thought for Today: "Come to me all you that labor and are troubled and I will refresh you."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: