Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Mental Prayer for August 9-Christ and the Pharisees

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God.

Grace I Ask: To understand how hypocritical it is to judge the consciences of others.

Mental Picture (cf. John 8:3-11): See the Scribes and Pharisees plotting to "catch" Christ. They bring a "case" for Him to try. "This woman," they say, "has been caught committing adultery. Moses says we are to stone her to death. What do you say?" If He lets her go, they will say, "See, he does not keep the law." If He says, "Stone her," they will say, "Where is this mercy you've been talking about? You say you've come to save sinners-ha!" A difficult spot for our Lord to be in, but what does He answer?

"Whichever of you is free from sin shall cast the first stone!" They crawl away.

My Personal Application: What's the point? A very simple one. Let God do the judging and condemning; I have more than enough to do about my own sins without busying myself about others. Simple? Is it? We all tend to be Scribes, writing down the sins of others, hoping ours won't seem so bad. We all tend to be Pharisees, setting ourselves up as little gods to judge other men. Christ says to me, "If you are without sin, cast the first stone." What can I do but crawl away in shame and confusion?

I Speak to Christ: My Savior, I know I can't know the consciences of others, yet sometimes I do judge them rather than their actions. Help me to learn that I cannot see into the hearts of men. Help me to pay more attention to my own words and deeds. Help me to learn to leave other men to you and to your mercy.

Thought for Today: "Judge not, and you shall not be judged."
___________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: