Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Catholic Answers Voters Guide - Based on "Bad Theology"?

So says Eric McFadden of the "'Catholic' Alliance for the Common Good". Actually, to be fair, Eric said, in full:

I think that guide [the Catholic Answers Voters Guide for Serious Catholics] has been proven to be based on bad theology and not the fullness of our Catholic faith and teachings. We would be happy to send you a quantity of ours to balance that out.

A couple of things right off the bat...Of course, I'll take him up on his offer for some guides - it will be that many less that can be used to confound and improperly 'guide' others...

Secondly, I'm curious who has "proven" that the Catholic Answers guide is based on bad theology and does not reflect the "fullness" of Catholic teaching?

I received an email early Monday morning from the group "Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good" with the subject: Got your Catholic Voter Guides?

They were (and are) offering FREE guides - perfect for those who wish to help save unsuspecting Catholics from doctrinally defective teachings by taking the guides out of circulation...Part of that Monday email that I received stated:
Here's what you can do:

Order a quantity of voter guides today. There is no cost for the guide.

We will ship quantities at no cost to reciepiants [sic] of this email. Simply email lmerlini@thecatholicalliance.org - include the amount you need and your mailing address. You may call us at 202-903-0856.

Tell your friends, family, colleagues, and fellow parishioners about Voting for the Common Good.

I say - Order a hundred or two and remove them from circulation. Save others from confusion.

Anyway, after I received this email for the "free" guides, I replied with the following, to test the people at the "common good" camp:
Our parish is distributing the "Voters Guide for Serious Catholics"
Is that the guide we need?

And this brings us back to the top of this post - granted, some may suggest that I engaged in a small bit of "trickery", but the question I asked was quite honest and there is nothing deceptive in what I said or asked. I'll forward this on to Catholic Answers Action for clarification and I'll also ask Eric if he can be a bit more specific...Later.

No comments: