Friday, October 27, 2006

Mental Prayer for October 28, Venial Sin : The Risk

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Dear Lord, give me what it takes to stay in training for eternity.

The Idea: All season Joe had known it would come - his big chance - the opportunity to be a star football player. So far he'd had a so-so season. "Not enough zip," the coach said. But now he was in the championship game... 30 seconds to go... his school ahead by one point! Tyler of the opposing team was almost clear. Only Joe stood between him and the winning TD. This would be Joe's victory! He stretched his legs, filled his chest with air, gave it all he had. But, it wasn't enough! His lungs hurt, his legs were heavy. Tyler outran him. Because of Joe... the cham­pionship... lost.

Back in the locker room, nobody looked at him. Only the coach didn't know that Joe hadn't caught Tyler because he was out of condition. He'd broken training all season. Just a small beer here, a little cigarette there - nothing serious. But when the big test came, Joe didn't have what it takes, because he'd broken training.

My Personal Application: Am I staying in training for eternity? Not if I'm careless about venial sin - sinning easily just because the sins are "little."

Someday the big test will come along: the violent temptation to sin mortally. If I've stayed in condition spiritually, if I've not broken training by deliberate venial sin, I'll be strong enough to beat that temptation. But if I've broken training by venial sins, there's a big chance I'll fall. Find out what God thinks about this. Ask Him.

I Speak to God: Dear Lord, give me what it takes to stay in training for eternity. Give me the grace to see how foolish it is to be careless about venial sin. Give me the strength to stay in spiritual training - so that I never commit venial sin deliberately.

Thought for Today: Dear Lord, give me what it takes.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: