Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Mental Prayer for October 25, Mortal Sin Deserves Hell

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Dear Lord, give me a real under­standing of what a horrible thing mortal sin is.

The Idea: Larry and Sheila leave a party. It has been a swell party, the best in their ten months of dating. Before going home they "park" awhile. In the back of his mind, Larry suddenly thinks of the warnings he has heard... but they don't apply to him... deliberately... he has never fallen into mortal sin... and then... fully... deliberately! Finally Larry takes Sheila home. He is nervous... he has committed his first mortal sin... he speeds... he doesn't see the other car... there is a terrific crash, like an explosion! The jaws of hell open, and Larry's soul plunges into the pit of eternal fire - unending torture - for one mortal sin.

This is the cost of just one mortal sin. This is God's point of view: the just price of one mortal sin is everlasting agony in hell. Nothing worse could happen to me; nothing else on earth is as horrible as committing even one mortal sin.

My Personal Application: Do I really understand the horror of one mortal sin? Have I always understood? Did I ever commit a mortal sin? Am I in mortal sin right now? I should rather suffer anything on earth than commit even one mortal sin... because the price is hell. Resolve ­- completely - never mortal sin! Ask God's help.

I Speak to God: Dear Lord, give me a real under­standing of how horrible mortal sin is. Teach me your point of view. When I am tempted to commit one, remind me that it will cost me eternal pain in hell. Give me the grace never in the future to commit even one mortal sin.

Thought for Today: Dear Lord, when I'm tempted to sin mortally, remind me of hell.
__________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: