Monday, December 18, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 19, Knowing My Ideal

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God


Grace I Ask: To know Christ better so that I can be loyal to Him and pattern my life after His.

The Idea: "I can't be loyal to Christ! I don't know Him well enough. I can't be loyal to a holy card - or to a vague picture of Him in my mind." So, what do I do? He must become real, alive, a person. So, I want to know Christ. What kind of knowledge of Him do I want? Is it mere book knowledge in the way in which I study English grammar? Can I say I know Christ if I know all about Him? Or must I know Him on the inside? - the way I know my best friend really and personally. When Christ begins to come alive for me, when He begins to be a real person for me, then I am learning to know Him.

My Personal Application: What is the picture of Christ I have in my mind? How can I clear it up? Is He real to me just as my family and friends are? Is He a person? Or an idea... or something or other? How can I make Him a real, live person for me? By studying His life­ - by watching Him live. Much of my life can be spent clearing up the picture I have of Him and making Him live.

I Speak to Christ: My King, I know I can't get this knowledge of you without your help. It is your grace that will make you live for me. I want to know you. I want to know you as a friend, Help me with your grace and inspiration.

Thought for Today: To know Christ is to love Him.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: