Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 21, Looking and Listening

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To understand and begin to learn how to pray by looking on Christ.

The Idea: Merely thinking about Christ isn't enough. I want to know Him deep down inside. What are His ideas - how does He feel - who are His friends - His enemies - what does He say - how does He talk - what does He do? The best way to find out is to follow Him, to live with Him as He goes through His own life.

How? By looking and listening. I will take Christ's life - scene by scene - spend some time getting a good picture of the scene in mind. Put myself in the picture - for instance, as one of the women who are with Mary -or as an Apostle. See who is with Christ. How does He look? Is He tired? Is He smiling? What is He saying? Can I do anything to help? What are the people around Him doing? How does He act toward them? Answering these questions will help make Him live for me.

My Personal Application: This is an easy way to pray. All I have to do is open the eyes and ears of my imagination. Do I want to know Him as a very close friend? I will begin this Christmas season to follow His life from its beginning­ - watching Him grow, live, teach, and work - ­watching, listening, and learning while He suffers and dies, rises from the dead - watching and loving, because He does it all for me.

I Speak to Christ: My King, I want to know you. But you know how much I need your grace for this. Please give me the grace I need. Help me to know you in these mental prayers and to act with your spirit in my life.

Thought for Today: To know Christ I must live with Him.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: