Friday, December 22, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 23, Leaving Nazareth

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Help me to see and understand the obedience of Mary and Joseph.

Mental Picture (cf. Luke 2:4):A rooster crows... I roll out of bed and peer out the window... the half­-light just before dawn... two little donkeys, their long ears flapping... Joseph loading one of them. I dress and hurry out to see if I can help. Mary gets the pots and pans and food ready. I carry them out to Joseph. We are leaving Nazareth for Bethlehem. Caesar has spoken. We must make the long journey to register for his census. Who knows how long we'll be gone? At last Mary puts out the light... checks the fire... stops to remember if she forgot anything... goes out and closes the door behind her. Joseph lifts her onto the little donkey... picks up the lead strap... looks back at me - "All set?" "Ready," I take the strap of the pack donkey and we start for the hills. The dew on the grass slaps cold on my sandaled feet.

My Personal Application: Here is quiet obedience - calm, trustful obedience. This is the way God wants it, so this is the way to do it. How do I obey those having authority over me - my Pope, my bishop, my parents, my teachers, my boss? Is my obedience quiet - without a lot of complaining Is it trustful, knowing that this is the way God wants it?

I Speak to Christ: Jesus, my King, I have a lot to learn. Here you and your parents teach me how to obey. Help me to understand - I don't want to miss the lesson. Help me to take on your attitude in obedience: this is God's will and His will brings me peace and calm.

Thought for Today: When Christ became man, He said, "Behold, I come to do thy will."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: