Saturday, December 23, 2006

Mental Prayer for December 24, Bethlehem

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Gracs I Ask: Grace to see what it is that makes my heart too crowded for my King.

Mental Picture (cf. Luke 2:6-7): Our shadows are getting longer and it is getting cool. I can see that Mary is tired. Joseph limps a little as he pulls the tired little donkey. "Just a few more steps." Over the hill there... below us... the little town of Beth­lehem. We must hurry... already many people are there. At the inn - no room. We follow Joseph as he goes... house to house... "no... sorry, no room... all filled... sorry... no... no... no room."

Two shepherds come up... their stable up in the hills is open... just a little way distant. Joseph looks at Mary... for her, the best he can do. She nods gratefully. He turns in the direction the shepherds pointed... up a little hill... along a sheep path... around a corner out of the wind... at last.

My Personal Application: I have watched the people in the houses that were "too crowded."

Is there room in my heart for Mary and her Son? Or do the many "things" that crowd my heart laugh them away - lock the door - turn away with "I'd like to, but..."

Maybe I need a good house­ cleaning. If Christ can't come in, something is wrong.

I Speak to God: There's room in my heart for you. Maybe it's not much yet, but I'll clear out what you can't use. Don't go away - help me clean my heart - help me to keep it free for you.

Thought for Today: "...there was no room for them."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: