Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Mental Prayer for February 1, Preparing for First Friday

Reparation to the Sacred Heart

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Dear Sacred Heart, help me to learn the lesson of reparation to you.

The Idea: When I hurt someone who is dear to me, I usually feel bad until I have made up with this loved one. No one is dearer to me than my Lord. He has been hurt by my sins and the sins of others. Sin put Him on the cross of Calvary. I have hurt Christ, but I have a way of making up for this injury to Him. I can show Christ that I do love Him and that I am sorry for hurting Him by little acts of reparation, "making up" for my sins, and the sins of others.

My Personal Application: I, by offering up small distasteful acts each day, can make up for the injury done to our Lord by sin. Accepting projects without complaint... giving up a favorite snack... doing a little extra work for someone out of love for God - ­ these are actions by which I make reparation to our Lord.

In addition to these acts, there is a very special way in which I can comfort the injured Heart of our Lord. The first Friday of each month is set aside as a special day for reparation. I can offer my Mass and Communion on that day in repara­tion to the Sacred Heart. Our Lord Himself asked for this practice. Do I take advantage of this chance to show my love for Christ? I must resolve now to be faithful to this devotion. By it, I can show my love for Christ who loves me so much.

I Speak to Christ: Dear Sacred Heart, I want to make up in some way for my sins which have hurt you.

Thought for Today: "My heart has expected re­proach and misery and I looked for one to grieve with me but there was none."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: