Monday, January 29, 2007

Mental Prayer for January 30, To Be Like Him

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask : To speak to God with a sincere heart.

The Idea: Today my meditation is to think over what it really means to be under Christ's banner and, after I think it over, to ask Him to receive me under it in all the fu1lness of that meaning. I will say slowly, thinking over a phrase at a time, the following prayer:

I Speak to Christ: Dear Christ, to be like you is the noblest ambition any Christian could have. I want to be like you. I want my life to be an imitation of yours in selfless work for the good of others.

I would like to be won completely by you and taken under your special banner - the cross. I would like to ruin the devil's plan for my life completely. Help me to do this. Make me see and think straight. Get the silly, immature ideas of praise, human respect and wealth out of my head. I would be happy to live your kind of life as you lived it­w ithout any reward or recognition at all, except from you.

My God, give me the gift of being received under your banner in the highest degree of pover­ty of spirit, and if you wish it and think it good, even in actual poverty.

And receive me too in bearing all injuries and humiliations gladly for your sake. Let the world think I'm crazy - if it's for you. They talk about people being crazy over one another - that's the way I'd be happy to be for you: crazy in love with you who were crazy enough to die for love of me.

Thought for Today: "To serve Christ is to reign."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: