Sunday, January 14, 2007

Mental Prayer for January 15, Christ and His Parents

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To understand the meaning of family living.

The Idea: Christ grew up as a member of a family. Let me look into the house at Nazareth and watch Him at home. Could Mary and Joseph complain that He did not appreciate them... that He did not show that He knew all they were doing for Him... and that He never showed His thanks? I hardly think so. Could they complain that He was never home except when He had to be? No.

It is not hard to imagine them sitting around talking, enjoying each other as all families should at times. Could His parents complain that He was grouchy, sharp, even critical at home? Certainly not! His home was HOME and He loved it. Let me quietly watch the three of them for a while to see how they act toward each other, Mother, Father, and Son. See how they show their love for each other in so many little ways.

My Personal Application: Being a member of a family means much more than living in the same house as my parents and brothers and sisters. What is my attitude toward my home? Is it just a place to eat and sleep? Oh, not in so many words - but deep down do I act as if it were only that?

I Speak to Christ: Help me to appreciate my family life. I've got so much to learn.

Thought for Today: Lord, teach me to see my family as you saw yours.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: