Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Mental Prayer for January 18, How Do I Make a Good Retreat?

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Dear God, help me to do everything I should to make a good retreat this year.

The Idea: A retreat is a private, personal exercise. Its success does not depend upon teamwork, except in the sense that those of us making the retreat together can make it easier or harder for each other to get the most out of it. Just as an exercise such as weight-lifting depends upon in­dividual work to build muscles, so a retreat will result in growth of spiritual strength only inas­much as I work to make it well. Therefore it is up to me to "retreat" from ordinary occupations and distractions, to keep silence - which means not only not talking, but also staying away from TV, from games, from anything at all that would take my mind off the eternally important exercise of my soul.

I can't concentrate as I should on the two most important realities - God and myself ­- unless I really withdraw from other interests in order to give my entire attention for these days to the purpose of my life. Growth in con­viction as to how I must act, growth in knowledge of my own problems and weaknesses, building up my spiritual strength for the future - these will result only if I make my retreat as I ought. Silence, work at the personal exercise of my soul, sacrifices in order to get closer to Christ - if I do these things, I shall be well on my way to making a good retreat.

I Speak to God: Dear God, it's not going to be easy to stay silent and to give all my attention to the exercise of my soul for a proper and worthwhile retreat. Please give me the strength I need to make a good retreat.

Thought for Today: "Come aside and rest awhile."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: