Sunday, January 21, 2007

Mental Prayer for January 22, Fame and Fortune

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Light to see the devil's traps; sklll to avoid them.

The Idea: One strong natural desire is to get things for ourselves; another is to be looked up to by others. All the world helps make these desires grow in us. "Whatever you do," older people say, "get yourself a good job, and make some kind of a name for yourself." Aim at money - and a good reputation.

We hear a man goes out to seek "fame and fortune" - the same two ideals. We call a per­son's vocation his "career" - fame; or we call it "making a living" - money. When men work hard, they expect a reward - if not in money then at least in the praise of their fellow men. And finally whom do we usually call a success? One who has acquired outstanding fame or made an outstanding amount of money.

My Personal Application: Do I think this way too? Do I look up to others or down on others because of their clothes, cars, friends, their position, importance, etc.? Do I like to think of myself as famous, admired? Do I hope to win or make or find a fortune? Do I hate above all ever to be left out of things, looked down on, or laughed at by others - even when I'm doing what is right?

I Speak to God: Dear God, when advertisers and propagandists try to catch people's interest, they appeal to this love of riches and fame. They know how widespread and deep-rooted these human desires are. It's not very likely that the devil, the greatest propagandist of them all, would overlook them.

Still, these things seem so innocent in them­selves, so good. But I wonder... why do they count so little for eternity? And how do they really fit in with your teachings in the Gospel? Are there dangers here? Help me to see them.

Thought for Today: "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: