Thursday, January 25, 2007

Mental Prayer for January 26, The Good Life

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask : To understand and love the unselfish life of Christ our Lord.

The Idea: Christ did greater works than any other man ever did. He had more power over nature than any scientist, more intelligence than any famous philosopher, more charm of personality than any movie star, general, or politician.

More­ over, Christ used all these talents to their fullest. Yet He never made a profit from any of them. He remained really poor to the end of His days. He seemed not to care about, hardly even to think about, getting money, clothes, etc., for Himself. He could easily have been the richest and most powerful man who ever lived. He chose to live and die poor.

My Personal Application: Does my idea of a good life necessarily contain the idea of a comfortable life? If some accident suddenly made me like millions of other people in the world today­ without enough food or clothes, with no place to live - would I find life unbearable? Can I give up things I like to help others in need? Or doesn't it even bother me that I am comfortable while so many others are suffering through no fault of their own?

Can I do what's right because it's right, without expecting a reward? Suppose the only rewards I see around in the immediate future seem to be for those who are evil or selfish. Will I then do evil?

I Speak to Christ: Dear Christ, I'm afraid my life isn't much to look at in comparison with yours. Teach me the true life of detachment from worldly goods. Let me be a faithful follower of yours under your banner.

Thought for Today: "Blessed are the poor..."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: