Friday, January 26, 2007

Mental Prayer for January 27, The Following of Christ

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To understand and love the unselfish life of Christ our Lord.

Mental Picture: Christ, hanging on the cross... men standing around, shaking their heads... "I told you He'd come to a no-good end."... "He thought God sent Him to save the world... another crazy religious fanatic."... "The most dangerous criminal of our day."... "A sorcerer - sold His soul to the devil, that's what He did." Christ the failure! Three years of teaching, and no disciples left. A life of hard work, and nothing to show for it. Two or three personal friends left... just enough to lay His body in an unmarked grave. Christ the simple fool... who trusted in God... lived only for God and to help others find God... and look at Him now... Christ, showing me how unimportant worldly reputation and the opinions of men really are.

My Personal Application: Christ devoted His whole life to doing good without hoping for or expecting the least reward in this world. He got no riches, He got no honors. And He gave me an example that I can follow if I dare. The more perfectly I do dare, the more good I will be able to do with my life. The self-centered person is never going to be any good for God or for the world, or - in the long run - for himself.

So my teacher or my boss doesn't notice the effort I'm putting in. Or I help someone in secret, and he lets it stay secret. I do some good and I get no thanks, no appreciation, no recognition of any kind! That's as it should be! That's the way to stay clear of the devil's snares. That's the way to work purely for my Father who is in heaven. That's the way Christ's whole life was: completely devoted and yet how little appreciated.

I Speak to Christ: Dear Jesus, you deliberately chose the kind of life you did. And you know what kind of life is really best for us, because you are the God who made us. Give me the courage and strength to live a life like yours.

Thought for Today: "Blessed are you when men curse you and revile you and speak all manner of evil against you for my sake..."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: