Saturday, February 10, 2007

Mental Prayer for February 10, Act III: God's Gift to Me

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To look upon Holy Communion as God's acceptance of my gift to Him.

Mental Picture: See the priest remove the ciborium full of small white hosts from the tabernacle. He genuflects and takes the ciborium in his hands. He turns around, and holding up a host he says, "Behold the Lamb of God."

My Personal Application: At the Offertory I offered myself with Christ to God the Father. At the Consecration the Father accepted the bread and wine now changed into His Son's Body and Blood, and He accepted me along with Christ. Now God is giving Himself to me.

Suppose I had won a a million dollars on a game show. The master of ceremonies counts out the money for me. Instead of taking it, I turn around and walk away. If I did this, wouldn't everybody say, "There's something wrong with him; he's not in his right mind!"

The priest at Mass turns to me and offers me Christ. Do I turn my back on Him and refuse this tremendous gift? This Communion is God's gift to me. It shows how much my gift has won His favor.

I Speak to God: My God, help me to understand what St. Augustine said a long time ago : "God in His infinite wisdom knows of no greater gift ; God in His infinite power can give no greater gift." Not even you can give a greater gift than yourself. And what is it that keeps me from you? Too lazy to get out of bed? Can't go hungry for a few minutes? Afraid to go to confession and receive your grace again if I have lost it?

Thought for Today: "If thou didst know the gift of God."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: