Friday, February 09, 2007

Mental Prayer for February 9, Act III: God's Gift to Me

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: Lord, give me the strength to carry out my offering.

Mental Picture: A large upper room with the Apostles gathered around our Lord... a silent hush falls over the group as they finish the Last Supper. There is sadness in the air as when friends must say goodbye. Christ has already said over the bread, "This is my Body" ; and over the wine, "This is my Blood." Now He looks lovingly at all His disciples and spreads out His arms as if He would gather them all to His Sacred Heart, and says, "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for without me you can do nothing" (John 15:5).

My Personal Application: I have done a wonderful thing in offering myself to God with Christ, and He has accepted the offering of myself - my work, my study, my health or sickness, my successes or failures. It is my day today that I have offered to Him. And now comes the living of it. Is this going to be just pious sentiments?... beautiful words that I say in the morning during Mass and never think about again the rest of the day?

If I'm going to live out my Mass, I can't do it alone. I need help. And Christ knows this far better than I. That is why He comes to me in Holy Communion so that together the two of us can carry out my sacrifice through the day. He doesn't leave me alone, for He knows that by myself I am nothing and I can do nothing. But with Him all things are possible.

I Speak to Christ: O Jesus, help me. Help me to live my Mass. Together, let's go through this day, doing and suffering everything for you, and with you, and in you. I cannot do it alone. I need your grace that you give me in Holy Communion.

Thought for Today: "Without me you can do nothing."
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: