Monday, February 05, 2007

Mental Prayer for February 5, Act I:Our Gift to God

Mental Prayer Meditation Helps

Presence of God

Grace I Ask: To see my offering is part of the Mass.

The Idea: Bread and wine are brought to the altar and offered to almighty God with the prayer that He may bless them and make them holy. They are our gifts. They are the gifts we offer to God. My share in them is a sign of my faith and love, my gratitude and submission, my sorrow for sin. The offering of the bread and wine repre­sents the offering of myself. As the priest pours the wine into the chalice, I mentally put into the same chalice all my intentions - all my difficulties, all my happiness - myself.

My Personal Application: This is my big part in the Mass. I offer the bread and wine as signs of offering myself with the priest. Unless I unite myself with the priest and offer myself as he offers the bread and wine, there is very little of me in the Mass. If I do offer myself, then all of me is in the Mass.

I Speak to God: Most Holy Trinity, in the Mass I offer myself to you in union with Jesus Christ our Lord. Help me to realize now the meaning of my offering. Help me to understand my part in the Mass. Help me to realize that the bread and wine that the priest offers really stand for my gift - really stand for me. I want to take a real live part in the Mass. Help me to put my whole self into my offering.

Thought for Today: May my sacrifice be made acceptable to you, O God.
________________
Adapted from Mental Prayer, Challenge to the Lay Apostle
by The Queen's Work,(© 1958)

No comments: