Thursday, February 07, 2008

Just for Today, February 8

Endeavour to be patient in supporting the defects and infirmities of others, of what kind soever; because thou also hast many things which others must bear withal. If all were perfect, what then should we have to suffer from others for God's sake?
-Bk. I, ch. xvi.

Let me love Thee more than myself, and myself only for Thee, and all others in Thee, who truly love Thee, as the law of love commands, which shines forth from Thee.

Love is swift, sincere, pious, pleasant, and delightful; strong, patient, faithful, prudent, long-suffering, coura­geous, and never seeking itself.
-Bk. III, ch. v.
_________________

Greater love than this no man has, that a man lay down his life for his friends (John xv, 13). Meditating on these words, I realized how imperfect was my love for my Sisters; I saw that I did not love as Jesus loves them. I understand now that true charity consists in bearing with all the defects of our neighbour, in not being surprised at her weakness, in being edified by the least of her virtues. Above all, charity must not remain hidden in the heart, because no man lights a candle, and puts it in a hidden place, nor under a bushel; but upon a candlestick, that they that are in the house may see the light (Luke xi, 13). I think this candle must repre­sent charity, which ought to enlighten and cheer not only those I love most, but all that are in the house.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme)
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: