Sunday, February 03, 2008

Meditation for February 4, The Blank Page

A young girl whom a merciless illness was to carry off at the age of twenty, wrote a letter on leaving Sacred Heart boarding school, to one of her former teachers, describing the appointments of her sister's room and then added:
"For my part I have put another thing on my desk and those who come into my room cannot understand it. It is a blank sheet of paper with my signature at the bottom. He can put on it what He will; it is signed in advance."

"He" is our Lord. And the valiant child wrote again:
"I wish to open the door wide for Him even before He knocks...."

Do I understand this type of abandonment to God? Am I ready for anything the Lord may ask of me?

I am so anxious to know what my life will be, that before I at­tach my signature, I draw up a complete list of what I expect. But, God asks me to entrust all to Him...to offer Him a blank page. I must have enough confidence in Him not to fear anything. He can will only what is best for me.

And without doubt if He showed me in advance the possible or even the actual crosses He intended for me, my cowardice would overcome me. It is a grace not to know... I will thank Him for it.

I must not become agitated, or excited. Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof; the daily bread will never be wanting. I will live devotedly, confidently and peacefully.

"O my God, do with my life what You will; I surrender my soul into Thy Hands not only for the last day of my life but for every moment of my existence."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: