Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Meditation for February 6. The Spirit of Proprietorship

Gandhi, the celebrated Hindu nationalist leader, had decided that in order to be a leader, he would have to lead a life as inde­pendent as possible of physical comforts. But he was not long in realizing that he must continually defend himself against the ever­ increasing demands of nature. At the beginning, nature demanded very little, this little gradually increased until it reached alarming proportions.

We are like the solitary of the fable: with the intention of keep­ing the rats from his cell he got a cat; but what would he give the cat to drink? Where would he find milk? He got a cow, and finally ended by getting a man to take care of the cow. That was the end of his solitude.

This story holds a valuable lesson for us. Isn't that trifle which I want very insignificant in itself? Of course, but be careful; this trifle will induce me to acquire other trifles, and going from one thing to another I will end by having real riches. Would I then be practicing perfection in poverty?

What a contradiction! Here I am a proprietor, I possess riches, or rather they possess me. I am their slave.

During my retreat I made an inventory of all my little posses­sions, some very minor riches, which in spite of my vow of poverty, I have accumulated, making a little estate of them. Have I taken anything back since that time, and was I really sincere in getting rid of my useless possessions? Nothing means nothing. I must aim at having nothing.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: