Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Meditation for June 12, The Kiss of Peace

During Mass the priest kisses the altar several times. If it is a solemn Mass, the priest gives to those who officiate with him the kiss of peace which in early times was given to all assisting at Mass.

I must love Jesus Christ, the Head.

I must love the members through fraternal charity.

What does it mean to love Jesus Christ, the Head? What kind of love do I owe Him?

Christ comes upon the altar to renew His sacrifice. The sacred stone which the priest kisses symbolizes Jesus Christ, the corner­stone, in His sufferings, death and burial. While venerating Christ thus symbolized in His renewed immolation, the priest understands well that he is joining himself in a common union to his immolated Savior. It is as if he said, "Here I am to die with You and for You; to live no longer my life but Yours. I know that nothing more of self can remain in me. I do not live any longer. Immolate me with You upon the altar."

During Holy Mass, I will unite myself with the priest in the desire to be immolated with Jesus. I will put into my oblation all the love of Mary Magdalen when she kissed the Savior's feet.

As someone has said, "The lips which bear the imprint of the altar cannot continue to profane the language of love." Think of my Communions! This thought, therefore, ought to prevent every failure against fraternal charity. There can be no true Love of the Head without love of the members. May the kiss of peace during the Mass always remind me that the two commandments of Jove of God and love of the children of God are but one.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: