Sunday, June 15, 2008

Meditation for June 16, My Weakness

We prayed in one of the previous Collects of the Mass, "O God, Who sees that we are altogether destitute of strength...."

How true it is!

In the past, I made the best of resolutions; the program given by St. Paul to the Corinthians captivated me and I sincerely desired to be magnanimous.

Alas, once again I realize my weakness, and in spite of my efforts to recall Christ's suffering, I have been cowardly. My zeal for active and personal participation in the Redemption has grown tepid. Am I truly living my life with genuine courage?

Do not be too angry with me, O Jesus ; You know of what I am made and how poor I am. Notwithstanding Your example­ and Your help, I drag along instead of walking briskly. I carry my cross complainingly; more than once I have evaded sacrifice, yet Your call is so insistent.

Have pity on me!

What a despicable religious I am; it is I who should compassionate You and here I am asking You to have pity on me.

If it please You, O my Jesus, let us mutually support one and other. Give me Your powerful grace, inspire me with a lively compassion, with ardent desires that I may be enabled to come to Your assistance and participate with You in the Redemption.
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: