Saturday, June 21, 2008

Meditation for June 22, False Gods

Of course, I believe in one and only one God. Why, then, this meditation?

It is not at all a matter of dogma but of morals. It is not a problem of doctrine but of practice. I, who in doctrine admit only one God, in practice, perhaps, cultivate a goodly number of idols, my petty welfare, my self-love, my vanity, my satisfaction sought in certain aversions, my too human thirst for success, and a score of others. In Pompeii one can see how the Roman houses were peopled with statues of numerous gods; each room had its own. In the house of my soul, are there not numerous side-chapels, places to offer a little incense to some false gods?

How can I reconcile this inconsistency - a very single-hearted service of God Most High, that I certainly wish to give, and my devotion, on the side, to a darling little idol?

We often read in the Acts of the Martyrs that the pagan judges said to the Christians: "Adore your God as much as you wish, but adore ours also." These valiant souls responded, "No, that is im­possible, there is but one true God, there are no other gods; the worship of the Lord cannot be reconciled with homage paid to idols," and they threw the incense on the ground.

I will be vigilant for the little truancies that might creep into my single-hearted worship of the Lord. I shall get rid of them by purifying my intention. God alone! No compromise. I will re­pudiate all false gods irrevocably.

"My God, grant that I love only You - You alone."
_________________
Adapted from Meditations for Religious
by Father Raoul Plus, S.J. (© 1939, Frederick Pustet Co.)

No comments: