Saturday, August 09, 2008

Just for Today, August 10

The holy martyr Laurence overcame the world, with his prelate; because he despised whatever seemed delightful in this world; and for the love of Christ he also suffered the high priest of God, Sixtus, whom he exceedingly loved, to be taken away from him. He overcame, therefore, the love of man by the love of the Creator: and instead of the comfort he had in man, he made choice rather of God's pleasure. So do thou also learn to part with a necessary and beloved friend for the love of God.
-Bk. II, ch. ix.
_______________

I had a great longing to see Celine a nun at the Carmel of Lisieux, but this hope seemed beyond the bounds of possibility. I sacrificed my wish, committing my beloved sister's future entirely to God, content to see her go, if necessary, to the other side of the world, if only she might be, like myself, a bride of Christ. I suffered so much at seeing her exposed in the world to dangers of which I had known nothing. I felt such affectionate solicitude for her soul, that my sisterly love was more like that of a mother.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: