Thursday, October 09, 2008

Just for Today, October 10

When he shall have done all things which he knows should be done, let him think that he has done nothing.

Let him not make great account of that which may appear much to be esteemed, but let him in truth acknowledge himself to be an unprofitable servant; aS Truth itself has said: When ye shall have done all these things that are commanded you, say: we are unprofitable servants (Luke xvii, 10).
-Bk. II, ch. xi.
___________

I told her how sad I felt at the thought of appearing before God with empty hands.

She replied: "Although in the same situation, I do not feel like that. Even if I had accomplished the works of St Paul, I should still consider myself an unprofitable servant with empty hands. It is just because I have nothing that I am happy, for I shall receive everything from God."

-Novissima Verba.
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: