Monday, October 06, 2008

Just for Today, October 7

Thou hast not here a lasting city; and wherever thou art, thou art a stranger and a pilgrim: nor wilt thou ever have rest, unless thou be interiorly united to Christ.
-Bk. II, ch. i.
_______________

This life is but a ship that bears thee on, and not thy dwelling-place.

When quite a child these words were always an encouragement to me. Even now, when childish im­pressions have faded, the thought of a ship helps me to endure my exile on earth. Wisdom herself says: All those things are passed away like a shadow, and as a ship that passeth through the waves (Wisd. v, 9, 10).

These thoughts lead me to Infinity, and I seem to see the shores of eternity, to feel the embrace of Christ, Our Lady's welcome, to see my father and mother coming to meet me with four little angels - my brothers and sisters. I enjoy in advance the only true and ever­lasting home-life.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: