Sunday, October 05, 2008

Just for Today, October 6

Depart from me, thou wicked impostor; thou shalt have no share in me; but my Jesus will be with me, as a valiant warrior, and thou shalt be confounded. I had rather die, and undergo any torment whatsoever, than yield to thy suggestions. Be silent, I will hear no more of thee, although thou so often strive to be troublesome to me. The Lord is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear? If armies in camp should stand together against me, my heart shall not fear (Ps. xxvi, 1-3).
-Bk. III, ch. vi.

I bless Thee, O heavenly Father, Father of my Lord Jesus Christ; because Thou hast vouchsafed to be mindful of so poor a wretch as I am. O Father of mercies and God of all comfort, I give thanks to Thee who sometimes art pleased to cherish with Thy consolation, me, that am unworthy of any comfort. I bless Thee and glorify Thee for evermore, together with Thy only-begotten Son, and the Holy Ghost, the Comforter, to all eternity.
-Ibid., ch. v.
________________

Last night I was in great anguish of mind, and my spiritual darkness increased. I seemed to hear an accursed voice saying: "How can you be sure that God loves you? Has He told you so? The opinion of a few human beings is not going to justify you in His sight."

I had been a prey to these thoughts for some time when your truly providential note was handed to me. In it you recalled the special graces Our Lord has bestowed on me, and, as though you knew of my distress, assured me that God loves me dearly and was about to crown me for all eternity.

Peace and joy began to return to my soul, but I said to myself: It is my little Mother's love for me that prompts her to write this.

At that moment I felt inspired to open the Gospels, and chanced upon these words that I had never noticed before: He whom God has sent, speaketh the words of God: for God doth not give the Spirit by measure (John iii, 34). I then fell asleep quite comforted. God has sent you to me, and I must believe you, as you say the same things that He does.
-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: