Friday, October 10, 2008

Just for Today, October 11

Bow down thyself then humbly at present under the hands of all, and heed not who it was that has said or commanded this. But let it be thy great care, that whether thy superior, or inferior, or equal, desire any­thing of thee, or hint at anything, thou take all in good part, and labour with a sincere will to perform it.
-Bk. III, ch. xlix.

He that has true and perfect charity seeks himself in no one thing, but desires only the glory of God in all things.
-Bk. I, ch. xv.
______________

I remember an act of charity God inspired me to do when I was only a novice. Although apparently trifling, our Heavenly Father who seeth in secret has already re­warded me in this life. It was before Soeur St. Pierre became a complete invalid. At ten minutes to six some­one had to interrupt her prayer to take her to the refectory. It cost me much to offer my services, as I knew how difficult it was to please her, but I did not want to lose this good opportunity, remembering Our Lord's words: As long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me (Matt. xxv, 40).

My offer was accepted, and I set to work with such good will that I succeeded perfectly. Every evening when I saw her take up her hour-glass, I knew that this was the signal to start.

Bracing my courage I began the long ceremony; the bench had to be removed in a certain way, without haste, and then we started off. I had to walk behind, holding her up by her girdle, but if she stumbled she at once thought that I was not holding her properly, and would let her fall:
"Oh dear! you are going too quickly, all my bones will be broken!"
If I went more slowly, it was:
"Why don't you follow me? I can't feel your hand; you will let go and I shall fall! Didn't I say that you were too young to help me!"
At length we would reach the refectory. Once there, fresh difficulties would arise: I had to get her into her place without offending her in any way, turn back her sleeves, and then I might leave her. I soon noticed that she found great difficulty in cutting her bread, so I did this before leaving. This little attention finally won her heart, as she had not asked me to do it; but I learnt later that what pleased her most was the affectionate smile I gave her after finishing my duties.

-The Story of a Soul (L'Histoire d'une Âme).
__________________
For more information, see this post.
Adapted from Just For Today(©1943 Burns & Oates)
Nihil Obstat: Reginaldus Phillips, S.T.L.,Censor deputatus
Imprimatur: Edwardus Myers, Vic. Cap.

No comments: